The Utrecht Excellence Scholarship offers a number of outstanding prospective students the opportunity to pursue a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University.
Host Institution: Utrecht University, Netherlands, (Course starts September 2013)
Field of study: International Bachelor’s programmes:
• Economics and Business Economics
• Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht
International Master’s programmes offered by the following Graduate Schools:
• Graduate School of Geosciences
• Graduate School of Humanities
• Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance
• Graduate School of Life Sciences
• Graduate School of Natural Sciences
• Graduate School of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Number of Awards: 55 scholarships
Target group: Outstanding prospective students including international students applying for one of the aforementioned programmes.
Cover: Selected students are awarded a scholarship up to 28 350 euro per year.
Important Note: Students should be aware that the grant is NOT a full scholarship. It is necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance study and stay completely. As one of the requirements for being granted a residence permit in the Netherlands, students from abroad must prove to the IND (immigration and naturalisation office) that they have sufficient financial means.
Eligibility: The applicant must meet the eligibility criteria in order to be considered for this scholarship. The applicant should:
• Not have the Dutch nationality;
• Hold a non-Dutch secondary school diploma;
• Have been admitted to an International Master’s programme within one of the Graduate Schools mentioned above, the Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business Economics or to University College Utrecht;
• Hold a relevant Bachelor’s degree (for a Master’s programme) or secondary school diploma (for a Bachelor’s programme), or an equivalent thereof;
• Be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa (if applicable);
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Scholarship Criteria: Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
• Their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field of study;
• The academic quality and results of the preceding education, as evidenced, for example, by grades, test scores, publications, letters of recommendation;
• The quality and relevance of the motivation letter (academic content, intercultural and communication skills, personal motivation);
• The quality and feasibility of the financial plan in the application;
• The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
Application instructions: It is not possible to apply for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship. You must have been admitted to select International Master’s or Bachelor’s programmes to be considered for the scholarship. From the list of admitted students, the Selection Committee of the programme will select eligible candidates on the basis of the selection criteria mentioned above.
Prospective Bachelor’s students in Economics and Business Economics who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before 1 April. Prospective Master’s students who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before 1 December.
Deadline: 1 Dec/1 April (annual)
Further Information: http://www.uu.nl/EN/informationfor/internationalstudents/financialmatters/grantsandscholarships/utrechtexcellencescholarships/Pages/default.aspx